National Cyber Security Strategy
The Netherlands aims towards safe and reliable ICTs and fears abuse and (large-scale) disruption – and at the same time acknowledges the need to protect the openness and freedom of the Internet. The Netherlands include a definition of cyber security in the strategy: "Cyber security is to be free from danger or damage caused by disruption or fall-out of ICT or abuse of ICT. The danger or the damage due to abuse, disruption or fall-out can be comprised of a limitation of the availability and reliability of the ICT, breach of the confidentiality of information stored in ICT or damage to the integrity of that information.”
Strategy Report: The national cyber security strategy (2013) – NEW
• A Cyber Security Board and a National Cyber Security Centre will be created.
• Preparing threat and risk analyses.
• Increasing the resilience of vital infrastructure.
• Response capability for withstanding ICT disruptions and cyber attacks.
• Intelligence services and defence
• Government will also intensify the investigation and prosecution of cyber crime.
• The Dutch government wants to further enhance and simulate research and education.
Initiatives/Bodies with Security Interest/Focus
• Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation (EL&I)
• Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations (BZK)
• Ministry of Security and Justice (S&V)
• Team High Tech Crime
• AT (Agency for Telecoms)
• CBP (Data Protection Authority)
• OPTA (Independent Regulator for Post and Electronic Communications)
• TNO and CPNI (Centre for the Protection of critical National Information Infrastructure)
• SurfNet (A non-profit 'task organisation' forming part of SURF)
• SAFE-NL (platform for Security, Applications, Formal Aspects and Environments)
• NVSO (National Collaboration for Security Research)
• Nlnet Foundation
• PvIB (Platform for Information Security
• ECP-EPN (Electronic Commerce Platform - Platform for eNetherlands)
• Nederlandse consumentenbond (Dutch Consumer Union)
• NEN (Dutch Normalisation Institute)
• ISSA NL
• OWASP NL
• ISACA NL
Sample Nationally Funded Projects
Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO)
Online privacy and disclosure of personal information: A Cross-Cultural Research Programme
01/09/2013 to 31/08/2018
Improving the Robustness of Urban Electricity Networks
01/12/2014 to 31/05/2017
Active Learning of Security Protocols
01/08/2013 to 01/08/2017
Design and Security of Cryptographic Functions, Algorithms and Devices
03/04/2013 to 19/09/2013
SLaBaC - Security of Lattice Based Cryptosystems
14/11/2012 to 14/11/2013
Privacy as Virtue: towards an actor based approach to privacy regulation
01/12/2012 to 30/11/2015
S-Mobile: Security of software and services for mobile systems
15/02/2008 to 30/09/2012